Grice-Fearing House Additions & Rehabilitation- Elizabeth City, NC

Rehabilitation and adaptation of the The Grice-Fearing House,  Elizabeth City’s oldest (late eighteenth century) National Register  listed structure,  for Bed and Breakfast occupancy. This project involved  the removal of two additions, and the design of three new additions (all on the rear or non-primary facade),  to the 2-1/2 story wood timber framed structure (which itself was an aggregation of at least three other eighteenth and nineteenth century additions*), reframing the existing Kitchen floor, and the introduction of new utilities including central air, and was approved for federal rehabilitation tax credits by the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. The project received a Carraway Award of Merit from Preservation North Carolina in October, 2009. 

*Evolution: Main (central 2-story block), built in two stages, beginning c. 1798 with front 2-story single pile, sidehall entry section, then expanded c. 1840-45 to double pile with rear 2-story addition with attic and double tiered front porch. South, one story wing (probably constructed earlier than original front section of house), was moved from adjoining lot and appended to central block probably mid-nineteenth century, with one story mirror Italianate  north wing added not long after, c. 1875. Kitchen wing added maybe first quarter twentieth century. Rehabilitation included new Bath Addition to second floor rear chamber of main section, new one story Master Bath, Closet, and Laundry Room addition for north wing, and new Sunroom addition for south wing.

 

Click to enlarge